As someone with five siblings, I love it when I come across realistic sibling relationships in books, tv shows, movies, etc. Since this weeks Top Ten Tuesday is a freebie, I’ve decided to list my favourite fictional siblings.
1. Dipper and Mabel Pines from Gravity Falls. The Pines Twins have probably the most realistic sibling relationship I’ve ever come across (which is understandable since it’s based on the creator’s relationship with his twin sister). They tease each other and have arguments about completely pointless things, but they’re still very close and in the end, will do almost anything for each other. I could go on about this all day, but we have a list to finish.
2. Nani and Lilo Pelekai from Lilo & Stitch. I personally think Nani and Lilo are the best developed siblings in Disney. Even though they drive each other crazy, they’ll do almost anything to stay together.
3. Sokka and Katara from Avatar: The Last Airbender I love these two. They’re very different and wind each other up a lot, but they’re also very much capable of working together and they’re (almost) always there to back each other up.
4. The March Sisters from Little Women I loved these books to pieces, and the March girls are fantastic. They’re all very different and I love all of them (Amy was annoying at first, but I grew to like her as she matured). They do all sorts of bonkers things together and fight and write plays and fail at housekeeping. Probably my favourite literary family ever.
5. Art and Myrtle Mumby from Larklight. These two are hilarious. They’re probably about as different as they can possibly be and get on each other’s nerves pretty much all the time. Despite their apparent dislike of each other, they do worry about each other and I think they’d rather be together than apart in the end. (however much they claim otherwise)
6. Katniss and Prim Everdeen from The Hunger Games. I’m sure I don’t have to say much about how much these two care about each other. I will mention how sweet just about every scene between these two was though.
7. The Baudelaires from A Series of Unfortunate Events I never finished this series, but the Baudelaires are amazing. They’re intelligent, unique and interesting. (In fact, I think it may well have been mostly them that kept me reading as long as I did)
8. Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic There are a lot of sibling and like-sibling relationships in this show, but I think Twilight and Shining Armor’s is my favourite. They clearly care for each other deeply and get along very well (although I somehow suspect that Twilight’s statement that they ‘never had a single fight’ is a bit of an exaggeration). I also love that according to the comics, Shining used to be a dorky nerd while Twilight was a socially awkward bookworm, since that’s basically the definition of my youger brother and me XD
9. Tide and Swanfeather (and Fingal) from The Mistmantle chronicles We don’t see all that much of the twins, but what little we do get is adorable and extremely well characterized. I decided to include Fingal here as well, since he acts more like an older brother than an uncle most of the time.
10. Pietro and Wanda Maximoff (Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch) from Avengers: Age of Ultron Not going to say too much about these two because spoilers, but I loved how protective they were of each other.
So that’s it for my list. If you would like to join in on Top Ten Tuesdays, just click the picture at the top. Who are some of your favourite fictional siblings?